Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The biggest problem with education...

...is that education itself leads to stagnant thought. We are taught, poorly for the most part, that this is the way things are, this is how stuff works,...these are the facts right here. I wonder how much similarity there is to people who were taught that the world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, diseases are caused by sin against god; will people look back on us in 100 years and exclaim "I can't believe they thought E=mc2!"

We are told to think outside the box (that is, when we're not being told to follow the herd), but even that commercialized cliche could be wrong. What if we need to be thinking outside the hexagon? Or inside the circle? Does anyone who "thinks outside the box" think that by being told to think outside the box that they're still in the box in a box?

Which reminds me of a Tao quote I just read about, by Zhuangzi:

I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?

No comments: