Sunday, January 06, 2013

The great "No New Stuff" project.

I don't quite remember where I originally read it (my friend C's FB?), but it seemed like a great idea at the time: try to buy nothing new for a whole year. There are a few exceptions of course- food, household sundries, and underwear were from the original plan. I need to add a few of my own too.

1. Work shoes. I'm still searching for the perfect pair as I slowly lose all feeling in my feet. The concrete floor at work is absolutely brutal on them. As I told my Co-worker, I'd sell my cats, her kid, and illegal substances for the right shoes. So I'll definitely pay premium prices if I could find some.

2. A deep sale. Got an item I needed for 75% off. Hey if they're gonna "give" it away, and it's actually on my list, then i'm going for it. This does not count towards "wants", just "needs".

3. Art/school supplies. I will, of course, try to find used or alternative items first. But if I can't, I can't.

So I'm going to give this a shot for a year, then reflect and reevaluate. No new clothes, books, dust collectors, etc. I'm going to have to be more creative with gifts as well.

No comments: