Friday, September 08, 2006

The second day of school...

...cuz who writes about the first day? The first day is buying books and getting info and doing lame introductions and listening to the teachers spout out the same goddamn school policies info and getting syllabi (syllabuses?) and finding places to put pieces of paper that are handed out you'll never look at again.

So the second day of school was fun. I squeezed every ounce of creativity residing in my brain out today. For the first three hours I played with Styrofoam. Yes..I just said Styrofoam. Our first assignment in 3D design is to make a sculpture using Styrofoam (which I am) or mat/poster board (which I'm not). It has to be a whole closed shape, geometric or amorphous, linked together. I think the whole class just worked on maquette's (small sculptures that are mini's of what we will be making full-sized later). Mine's pretty boring I think. We'll see.

My second class is painting 1...and I chose to do acrylics (oils was the other choice). I definitely learned today that I have a LOT to learn. Holy crap do I suck right now. It felt like I was at kindergarten level. And man...do I really need to work on my ellipses. I think I'll practice a few pages a day for awhile and see if that helps. Acrylics is fun and easier to clean up but you have to be a quick "draw" (..and I'm totally NOT) because it dries very fast. Of course, any corrections can be painted over.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get my new HD and can start on my online Math and Anthro classes.

No comments: