Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Comfort Food that needs a Twist

I made soup today*. I've been making lots of soups lately. This one was ok. East to make, decently filling, but there was just..something it needed. The cookbook is called Better Homes & Gardens: One Dish Dinners.


Chicken Chowder

12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs
3 slices of bacon, chopped
1/3 cup of chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
1 14.75 or 15 oz can of cream-style corn
1 14.5 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup of packaged instant mashed potatoes
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/8 tsp. coarsely ground pepper

  • Cut Chicken into 1/2 inch pieces; set aside.
  • In a dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from Dutch oven with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
  • Cook chicken, onion, and sweet pepper in bacon drippings over medium heat, about 3 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender.
  • Stir in corn, broth, and milk.
  • Stir in instant potatoes, thyme, and pepper.
  • Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink and soup is thickened; stir occasionally.
  • Sprinkle with bacon pieces.
I didn't use reduced sodium broth and actually added salt. I also used fresh thyme instead of dried and that may have been why I felt there wasn't enough seasonings. It's worth trying once I think.

*Pictures will be added to the blog once I find where I hid my camera for safe keeping. =P

No comments: