Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Soup is Good Food.


From Better Homes and Gardens: One Dish Dinners again:

Hamburger-Vegetable Soup

1 lb ground beef or ground pork
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 chopped green sweet pepper
4 cups of beef broth
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 7.5oz can chopped tomatoes
1/2 of a 9oz package of frozen lima beans
1/2 cup chopped, peeled potato or 1/2 cup loose-pack frozen hash brown potatoes
1 medium carrot, cut into matchstick-size strips
1 tblsp snipped fresh basil or 1tsp dried basil, crushed
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp black pepper
  • In a large saucepan, cook beef, onion, and sweet pepper until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.
  • Stir in broth, corn, undrained tomatoes, lima beans, potato, carrot, basil, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, and black pepper.
  • Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
  • Cover and simmer for 15 mins. or until vegetables are tender.
  • Discard bay leaf and serve.
Well, I used beef. And red pepper because I don't like green peppers. The beef broth was bullion cubes (and when they say 1 cube per 1 cup they really mean it! I tried less because I thought it might be too salty, but it was not flavorful enough with just 4 cubes per 6 cups of water.) And my carrots were not julienned (which didn't match the julienned look of the hash browned potatoes I used; that would have been so much prettier)... I'm just not that good with my knife skills. Plus my knives suck.

But taste wise it was pretty damn good. And I'm ok with lima beans :)

1 comment:

m. trigos said...

I'll try that; it does look good, but I will wait for Louisiana's soft winter to arrive before I attempt to soak myself in any kind of soup, lol ;-)